Why do you carry out appraisals with your staff ? Is it because you are told to by HR ?
If that is the case then you are not alone. It is regarded by some managers as a waste of time and a pointless paper exercise.
HOWEVER, it doesn’t have to be like that.
There are many benefits –
1) For YOU (the manager)
- Exchange of views away from normal pressures of work
- Identification of issues before they become problems
- Better understanding of individual capabilities and aspirations
- An opportunity to motivate!
2) For YOUR ORGANISATION
- A structured way of identifying and assessing potential
- Aligns organisation goals with individual objectives
- Aids in succession planning
- A method of personnel development and continuous improvement
3) For YOUR STAFF (individual being appraised).
- Learning their role within the organisation
- Learning how their performance is perceived.
- Gaining a deeper understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses.
- Having an opportunity to raise problems and ask questions.