10 Top Tips to… Getting the Most Out of Brainstorming.
Brainstorming is a technique for getting lots of ideas on a subject. Here are 10 tips on how to get the most from these discussions.
- Set a time limit on the brainstorming
- Find a comfortable quiet room. If you can, pick a space not used by your team for any other purpose. They will be stimulated by the new surroundings.
- Set goals that are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound)
- Only offer ideas when it is your turn, between turns write down ideas
- Embrace the ridiculous – Strange as it sounds, the very best ideas are often born from the very worst.
- Anything goes! Don’t try and evaluate ideas as they come out
- Say “pass” if you do not have an idea to offer
- Never criticise, question or even praise other’s ideas during the brainstorm
- Keep the tempo fast, this releases more ideas
- Avoid group thinking – encourage people to disagree and offer an alternative. Play Devil’s advocate.