20 Top Tips to… Motivating Others.
- Set clear, reasonably high, but attainable goals.
- Be sure that people understand and accept the goals.
- Involve people in formulating goals. Ask for their ideas and suggestions.
- Assure people that you rely on them and have confidence in them.
- Back your people up where necessary, especially in front of others.
- Recognise differences. Do not insist that people “do it as you would do it”.
- Show a genuine interest in people, not just in their work and performance.
- Relate the results you seek to their aspirations and their future careers.
- Develop a culture where work is oriented around results, not tasks.
- Make sure people know how their work contributes to the broader picture.
- Give deserved praise and recognition for both achievement and effort.
- Get people to plan, aiming for specific and measurable objectives.
- Help people to achieve a conviction that they are accepted and approved.
- Make sure they know the value and implications of the good work they do.
- Keep them informed on progress made by the Organisation.
- Listen to their problems, ideas, and grievances without rushing to judge.
- Never neglect, ignore or forget them.
- Make a real effort to understand what really motivates them.
19. Whenever they present problems to you, ask for their preferred solution first.